Thursday, February 7, 2013

Running Track Like I'm in the 9th Grade

The last time I was on a track I was in high school.  I wasn't fast then either.  I remember having to run a mile in 8 minutes for an A, and for every minute you lost a letter grade.  So a 10 minute mile was a C.  Which was about what I was able to run.  I remember my mother telling me that I was not average, I was excellent and excellent meant getting an A.  So I ran my little heart out.  And I passed out at the end.  But I got an A.

Kind of the story of my life - I'll make it to the finish line, but that's it.  I can do anything I put my mind to, but once I draw a line in the sand I rarely cross it.  This far and no farther.

Running track repeats made me remember how much fun it is to run really really fast. Which I can only do for a really really short stretch.  But with work, maybe I can push that limit more.  My ultimate goal -and holy grail - is a 10 minute mile.

After all, nobody's grading me anymore and I don't need anyone else to tell me if I'm excellent.  I already know I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment