Sunday, June 16, 2013

Half Marathon Training vs. DAR

I have been trying to stay on schedule with my training despite the best efforts of the rest of my life to throw a wrench in it.  But yesterday made me really stop and re-consider some things.

I had always believed I would be a Chapter Regent for one year before becoming the Secretary/Treasurer of the Memphis & Shelby County Regents' Council the second year and then going on to be the President of the Council the third year.  Chapter Regents serve for 3 years, and this would round things out nicely. 

But yesterday I found out that I am S/T THIS year.  Now.  And will be President next.  Which made me have to stop and re-think some goals.

I love running, and running is important to me.  But when I chose to get in the line to become Regent I knew I was going to put everything else behind DAR for those 3 years. 

My chosen half marathon was to be Labor Day weekend.  The first event that I am involved in with the Council is two weeks after that.  I also have travel commitments for my state-level chairmanship during July and August.  So....

I am going to continue to train but am pushing my goal race to October to give me more room.  And to take the pressure of airline tickets and vacation plans off as well.  Instead I will try for the RNR St. Louis.  It is a 5 hour drive and we have family there.  There are also several other races within a 5 hour drive that I could do around that time. 

This also will take off a little pressure while training in a Memphis summer....the humidity was 94% today at 9 a.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment